Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tech Timeout! Take the challenge…

 

TTOFacebook

 

WHAT IS TECH TIMEOUT?

The Tech Timeout challenge started by Foresters encourages families to take a daily break from technology. Participating families are encouraged to disconnect from all things electronic with the goal of helping spouses, parents and children build stronger bonds, communicate more personally and get more involved in each other’s lives.

TechTimeoutPledgeForm (1)

Over the weekend, I participated in a 3 day Tech Timeout challenge. Basically, for one hour each day, My family and I would be completely disconnected from technology. That means no cell phones, no computers, no tv or game systems…nothing more high tech than a book. We were encouraged to undertake this challenge from Friday through Sunday. The days most people find themselves connected to their tech devices.

DAY 1 - On Friday, my husband got paid, so we went out running around. That made it easy to keep tech down to nothing. We were out shopping for over an hour. We went to a game store and let my son play on some of the games they had there, then we went to Target to shop for clothes and things we needed for the household. The entire day was tech free with the exception of those few minutes my son had.

DAY 2 - Saturday was the toughest day to stay focused on this task. As a SAHM who has a working husband, I don’t get out too much, especially with 3 kids. So, to entertain myself, I do things online, things like this blog, while watching a show on tv. So, we spent the hour (and longer) outside playing with my older children in the yard while my youngest child sat in his bouncer, smiling and giggling the whole time (he loves being outside already. Guess I better start reviewing camping gear, LOL).

DAY 3 - Sunday was an easy day as we spent an hour in church. My kids love to sing and dance in church to all the great music we have throughout the service. After that, we went to browse at a store, and then home.

So, overall, I reconnected with what life was like before we were bombarded with all of this technology we take for granted. In this age of smartphones, laptops, game systems, and everything, we lose touch with what we used to do. Now, I make my children spend less time using technology and more time outside using their imaginations. I want them to learn the same lesson I grew up with and relearned this weekend: your imagination is the greatest technology there is, and the only technology you really need for a great time.

By participating in this challenge I realized that out family needs to take more timeouts and go out and live. My husband and I are discussing how our family will keep Tech Timeout a part of our family routine, maybe doing a hour or two a day or maybe a whole Tech free day a week. I will let you know what we decide.

Now its your turn. Do you think your up for the Tech time out challenge? Do you think your family needs a Tech timeout? Let me know by posting below and check out more about Tech Timeout and take the challenge yourself at http://techtimeout.com/ 

And here are a few ideas to do with your family during your Tech Timeout.

50ThingsToDo

ar137510177038192Disclosure: I was compensated for this post but all thoughts and experiences are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I think having a tech timeout day is a wonderful thing to start. I see my son and his family so plugged into their electronics. I will be passing along this post to him.

    ReplyDelete

Share a bit with us...