Monday, March 8, 2010

I love the Duggars

Good morning! I always try and start off the day praying for family friends and people in need. A family that gets a lot of my prayers lately are the Duggars. I watch their show on TLC and love how close they are and how connected to God they seem to be. I really aspire to have our family run as smoothly as they do. Come on if Michelle and Jim Bob can do it with 19 kids, how hard can it be with only 2?

I always search for the latest news on the duggars and baby Josie and when I ran across this article at Mamapop.com, it really hit home to EXACTLY what I feel, so I want to share it with you....



19 Kids and Still Counting: Why The Duggars Will Continue to Have Children and Why We Need to Shutup About It Already
Posted by Karen Sugarpants

The Duggars have been under a lot of fire recently after the recent pre-mature birth of their 19th child, Josie. Josie was born 4 months prior to her due date after mom Michelle had complications with pre-eclampsia.

Criticism from the medical and parenting communities have been both harsh and sometimes completely false in terms of medical risk:


“ ‘The risks of additional pregnancies start to go up dramatically after four,’ warns Dr. Jeffrey Richardson,a Ventura, Calif., obstetrician who had practiced for more than 30 years.”

“ ‘Postpartum hemorrhage, dysfunctional labor, preterm labor and early miscarriage are all risks.’ ”

To which I say, OH REALLY? I have never ever heard that claim before. Ever. Just because someone is a doctor, (he is a general surgeon, by the way), doesn't make them an expert in another field.

People are outraged that Michelle and Jim Bob have put baby Josie in grave danger by conceiving her. Other parents are wagging their fingers and saying "I told you so," and "it was bound to happen since they didn't stop having kids."



The fact is, this could have happened with baby # 1 or 2 or 7. It can happen to anyone and I don't believe Michelle and Jim Bob increased their risks any. I mean, baby # 18 was just fine, as were the 17 before that. Obviously Michelle's body can handle pregnancy and childbirth very well. I know some of you will disagree with me, and that's fine - but you can't deny that she had 18 healthy children before baby Josie.

You might as well hold your criticism; it doesn't sway the Duggars. Michelle had a miscarriage after conceiving on birth control pills and her doctor said the pills were the cause. Now the Duggars are avoiding birth control and abstaining after babies (40 days after a boy, 80 days after a girl) like the Bible says.

Adds Michelle: “It is not as if we’re going for another (child) immediately. This is going to be a year of different focus for me, getting Josie through her first year of life.”

As it should be.

The Duggars say in People: “Each child is a gift from God.” Jim Bob adds, “The negatives don’t bother us.” Agrees Michelle: “Our hearts haven’t changed.”

I don't know at what point the Duggars will decide to stop having children, but in watching the show, I have observed the following:

The kids are well cared for. They eat nutritious food, they are always dressed nicely, and they are clean. They speak kindly to each other, they help each other and teach each other. They are grateful for what they have, they make do with what they don't, and they love each other.

I don't care if Michelle and Jim Bob have 100 more children, they are doing something right. Those children piled into the tiny room where baby Josie was being kept in an incubator, and the room was quiet. My two children would be hooting and hollering and I'd be hard-pressed to keep my 5 year old from knocking something over. The older Duggar children explained the situation to the younger ones, engaged them in seeing their newest sister and cried at how small Josie is. They are a close-knit, compassionate bunch.



As for Josie, she is recovering from a bowel perforation and now weighs more than 2 pounds. The Duggars will relocate to Little Rock Arkansas, for the next year to care for her. “Josie has been off the ventilator for two weeks now, and they are increasing her feeds little by little,” says Jim Bob. “We pray that she grows strong.”

Michelle is 43 years old. Personally I wouldn't be having babies after that age, but many people do without complication. Personally I wouldn't be having 19 kids and counting either but that's the Duggar's business and as long as they are caring for them the way it appears they are, I don't believe it's our place to criticize them.

It's all too easy to make snap judgments about a family this rare. But if you watch the show at all, you'll see this family is strong in their values, comfortable with who they are, and waist-high in their faith. You're not going to change the way they do things. Regardless of the clown car jokes, all those kids can't go back to where they came from.



5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think the Duggers should be left alone. Their children are happy and healthy and well taken care of. The Duggers are not the only large family. Many of the Duggers friends have more then 7 kids and one family has almost as many as the Duggers.

    I wish my home ran as smoothly as the Duggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I think the duggers should be left alone. There are many people out there who keep having kids and SHOULD stop because they are not getting the best care. The dugger kids are happy and healthy and well loved and cared for.

    I noticed that many of the dugger's friends have 7 or more kids and a few are catching up to the duggers. And your so right, the complications during this pregnancy & josie's birth could have happened during any of the other pregnancies.

    People are just ignorant and love to put down what they don't approve of or think is bazaar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Duggars, too! :) I never knew this part, though:

    Now the Duggars are avoiding birth control and abstaining after babies (40 days after a boy, 80 days after a girl) like the Bible says.

    Where in the world does it say that, and why? Weird to me!

    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100%! I personally find the family to be very loving and all children are taken care of. It is no ones business how many babies they have, and hey, if they can afford them and love them all, more power to them! As for me, I am stopped at 5! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just watching the Duggars last night while I was on my elliptical trainer. I love their show and their beautiful family. People need to mind their own business and stop judging one another. It was neat to see them hold baby Josie for the first time!

    ReplyDelete

Share a bit with us...